Pages

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

This year I resolve...


...to be more patient, to take a step back when I start to get frustrated. I will take a deep breath and begin again.

I resolve to look for the little things such as laundry, toothpick patrol, and bathroom checks to take some of the pressure off my fellow caregivers...and to never say "It's not my job" or leave a mess for the next person.

I commit myself to making sure that Dad has at least one shower a week during my time and to stand my ground and not allow him get around basic hygiene.

I will continue to look for the humor and levity that makes looking after Dad a little easier for both of us.

I will appreciate all that my sisters, brother, nephew and their spouses do to make Dad's life better. We are a team and every contributor is important and valued.

I will continue to reach out to others who may feel alone in their struggles as caregivers in the hope that there is strength in camaraderie and the sharing of stories, ideas, information and compassion.

I will remember that I am human and likely to stumble, become frustrated and want to escape...and I will try to forgive myself.

I will be grateful for my husband and daughters for all of their love and support...especially for Mike, who taught me that marriage is not 50%-50% or even 100%-100%. Marriage is 100%-0. In every marriage there are times you cannot give 100% and your partner carries you through it. Mike, you have carried me so often, giving your 100% when I could do nothing and you taught me the value of patience and humor in the face of despair. I promise to be your 100% when you are lost or need support. We can get through anything together.

Happy New Year to all my readers and friends!! May 2014 bring joy and hope to all of your lives!!

No comments:

Post a Comment