Pages

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Why this picture?

I wonder if people look at this photo and wonder why I chose it. When searching for an icon for this blog I decided not to use a picture of myself or my father because I did not want to distract from the purpose of the blog. We could be any family, anywhere. Faces are not important to the story. Instead I wanted the picture to be a symbol of this illness. This is my cat, Squeakie. When this picture was taken my daughter, Allison, was 3 years old. Allison had put a hula hoop on the ground and inside it she put a miniature skateboard. On the skateboard is a tube of toothpaste and an electric toothbrush. That in itself was odd enough for me to want to take a picture. Then Squeakie wandered into the shot, looked at the skateboard setup and then looked up at me as if to say, "I don't get it". When looking for a metaphor for Alzheimer’s I felt this picture pretty much nailed it. A confused cat looking for an explanation for that which makes no sense at all. (Now back to our regular programming...)

No comments:

Post a Comment